Friday, August 5, 2011

before and after.

I have been anticipating this post since the beginning of summer....and it is finally ready to be debuted!!!!

I have become extremely interested in a variety of diy (do it yourself) projects! I have been reading different blogs, and looking up different ideas for diy projects that involve decorating and organizing! There are so many wonderfully creative people out there that have amazing ideas!!

If you have been following along you might remember that I am moving into a house with a few amazing girls this next year (which will happen in about 4 days...I can barely contain my enthusiasm!!!!!!!!). We have been planning out all of the rooms in the house on different decorating ideas, and what everyone will be needing to bring up. I can't wait to see it all come together! Anywho....I have been working vigorously on a few projects throughout the summer. You might remember at the beginning of this blogging journey a few of my prized possessions found at garage sales. Well I am finally proud to say that I have finished them all and can show you the before and after pictures!

My first project was my desk. This desk is my new baby. I am in love with it in every way!!!!!


BEFORE:




The first step of the process was sanding. I used an electric sander and started out with 100 grit sand paper. After wiping it down I went over it again with about a 200 grit sand paper, this helped smooth it out a little bit more.

This was after it had been sanded down. 

After sanding it is important to wipe it down, and remove the excess dust. I then primed it with a spray paint primer (I used the brand Painters Touch). I used a gray primer because my final paint color was black, but if you are painting with a lighter color you want to use a lighter primer (probably white). It is better to have a lot of lighter coats of both the paint and the primer, than to have one thick coat. (Sorry no pictures of the primed desk!) After priming I painted it black, and did 2 or 3 lighter coats. Again I used the brand Painters Touch (a black, semi gloss furniture paint)

  AFTER:
stay tuned and I will have pictures of it in my new room!!!

Next up...my dresser!!!
BEFORE:

and AFTER:

And last, but not least: my hope chest. My Grandpa Flickinger made this a long time ago, and I recently inherited it. I have always wanted one from my Grandpa and after he passed away I figured that was not going to happen. I was lucky enough to be able to get this one recently when someone else in the family no longer had room for it. I was so excited!! We are going to be using it as our coffee table in the living room.

It needed to be fixed up a little bit. So my Dad had to add a piece to the lid because the old one fell off. 


After that I was able to sand it....
 
...prime it...

...and paint it!!!!

I had so much fun working on these projects throughout the summer and I can't wait to put them all in my new room and house, and show them off even more!!!! :)

(stay tuned for moving in pictures, and seeing all the pieces in their new home!!!) 

xoxo,
shelbi.

3 comments:

  1. Shelbi-
    These pieces look awesome! I am so excited for you. I used to do the same thing (before kids). Now it seems really hard to find the time. Can't wait to see the pics of the furniture in your house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang Shelbi I am impressed by your sanding and staining skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!! I need to inherit your sanding abilities so I have cute furniture in my house too! :)

    ReplyDelete