Saturday, May 21, 2011

trash to treasures.

Next year I am moving into a little house in Manhattan with four amazing girls!! We have been trying to collect furniture, household items, and decorations to make our house into a home. We have all made lists of what we have, and what we need. 

The next step you ask??? GARAGE SALES! 

While I was still in school my Mom went on the hunt for a desk! She found a good little desk for $10 that will be perfect for my room in the house!!! We are going to paint it black, and I will be sure to post before and after shots of all my little furniture projects this summer!!!

On Friday my Mom had time to do a little more shopping and went on the hunt for a dresser for my room as well!! Once again...she found a great deal!! $15 for this Oak dresser, which we will also be painting black!


The next thing on the list was a love seat for our living room. We did our research on the local garage sales and made our strategic list of which places to hit up first and started our hunt bright and early! As they always say: "the early bird gets the worm!" Boy, oh boy did we get our worm!!!! The town of Buhler was having their city wide garage sale, so we decided that would be a great place to check out. There were so many "treasures" displayed in that little town! We found a love seat that we thought would be perfect...unfortunately it was already sold. We found out that someone we knew was the buyer, and getting it for a project at the High School. We kept on going down the road, and found another little love seat but we just didn't know if it would work or not (we thought it might be a little big for our living room). We joked around about seeing if our friend would switch us love seats, and then realized it wasn't a bad idea! So, when we ran into them later we decided to ask and they said that they wouldn't mind at all!!! So we made the swap, and we got our perfect little love seat!!! We were such great little bargainers!!!! We will put a slip cover over it and it will be good as new!!! :)


After that we continued on to look for other great deals! I found a board game and children's books for my future classroom, which I was very excited about!!!!


We found a set of bowls and plates that we bargained for.  


One surprise of the day was an old mixer. It is a handy little thing with a timer, different sized bowls, different speeds, and you can even make it into a hand mixer!!


One of the symbols of my sorority (Kappa Kappa Gamma) is a key. While we were looking around I found a small key that could be used for decoration. While I was looking at the key someone else we knew asked if I liked keys, and told me that she had a few decorative ones that she didn't want anymore!! So she ended up having her daughter bring them for me to add to my collection!! (the two larger ones in the picture are the ones she gave me!) 


All in all I would say today was a productive day as we accomplished a lot in our morning of garage sales!!

xoxo,
shelbi.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!! Tons of great stuff :) :) You can find some great stuff at garage sales for your classroom, SERIOUSLY!!! I loved seeing all the stuff beforehand, and I look forward to seeing what they look like after you paint them!

    ReplyDelete