Many girls often dream about the day that they will get married starting at a very young age. The groom, the ceremony, the cake, the reception, the flowers, and….THE DRESS.
There are so many options out there, styles, shapes, color, fabric, the list goes on and on!!! I knew that I was going to love shopping for a dress, I was excited to try different styles on and see what I liked and what I didn’t. It was something I had been dreaming of for quite some time now! Now I was a little nervous about having to choose a dress because of the amount of options, and the small factor of me being a little, kind of, somewhat, really, EXTREMELY indecisive! I knew there was a possibility that this trait of mine was going to factor into the search process…
We made our appointments and on Saturday my mom, sister and I headed to Kansas City to begin the search! We first went to Bridal Extraordinaire and had an amazing experience! The lady helping us (Lydia) was energetic, helpful, and listened to my requests. While I liked everything that I tried on there, I was not convinced that any of them were “the one.”
After that appointment we headed off to David’s Bridal. This experience was completely different. While it was a Saturday, and it was busy, we had booked our appointment and were expecting some amount of attention and help. We were there for a good hour and a half and our “consultant” (I would use this term loosely) was only with us for maybe 5 or 10 min. of it. She would bring dresses and then wander off and tell us she would “be right back.” She was never there to see if I liked a dress or not, and this did not make our experience pleasant or enjoyable. There were a few dresses here (one in particular) that we thought had potential, and were excited about, but did not feel good about the whole experience, and were not wanting to purchase a dress when not having a positive outlook on our time there. We decided to move on and see if we could stop by one more place on the way out of town.
We went to Group USA and tried a few on, again they were all beautiful, but none that we felt like were “the one.” After that we decided to head home without a dress and try again a different day. Even though we didn’t find the dress, we still had a fun day shopping and it gave us a better idea of what we liked!
We decided to go to the David’s Bridal in Salina and Young’s Bridal that next Tuesday. Young’s Bridal was the first stop that day, and while we found dresses that we liked parts of, but we were still struggling to find one we were head over heals for!
Then we headed over to David’s Bridal…where we were pleasantly surprised! Addy was the name of our consultant, and I would describe her as the MOST cheerful, energetic, and bubbly individual I have ever met! She obviously loved her job and was so excited to be helping us out (which was the opposite of the consultant in KC). Addy was bouncing around and had high spirits the entire appointment. We tried on dress, after dress, after dress. I felt like I had tried on every dress in the store, and it was always the same story. I liked the top of the dress…but not the bottom. Towards the end of the appointment I asked to try on the dress that I had tried on in KC…when she came back with it I tried it on, and realized how much I loved it. It took awhile for me to decide if this was THE DRESS. (insert my indecisive character trait here). I was hesitant at first…this was a big HUGE decision, and I had to see what everyone else thought of the dress as well. Of course my mom and sister wanted me to make the decision myself and were very quiet about their opinion. As I stood there, with the beautiful dress on, I slowly came to realize that this dress was mine. It was perfect! And I finally said “YES” to the dress!!! The only thing that would have made this experience any better was if Randy from “Say Yes to the Dress” popped out to surprise us!! I feel so good about the decision, and relieved that we have such a big task checked off of our list!
I seemed to just ramble on in this post. So for those of you that are still with me I apologize for the horrible ratio of pictures to words in this post! I want to keep the dress a secret from my future husband, so I won’t be able to post any pictures. I will however post a picture of me when I tried on my mom’s wedding dress…just to reward any of you who read through the whole post!
…and I promise that I will try my hardest to not look like Little Bo Peep on my wedding day!
xoxo,
shelbi.

I loved reading about this!! I'm so happy for you and this whole process. I'm glad you were able to realize that you found "the one!" I can't wait to see it...whenever that will be!
ReplyDeleteAshley
Haha love the old fashioned dress!! And I'm sorry KC sucks, but I'm glad you found "the one!!" :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on finding your dress. You are such a great writer. I love reading your blog. AND I don't think you look like Little Bo Peep with your mom's dress on. :)
ReplyDelete