Saturday, December 17, 2011

the wonderful world of pinterest.

I am officially obsessed. pinterest is an amazing world. I talked a little bit about it last post, but if you have not ever checked it out...I would advise you to do so!!! There are so many wonderful ideas out there and it is hard to even begin to wrap your mind around it all! Here are a few crafts and a recipe that I have recently tried that I found there! :) 

My first mission was to create a piece of artwork to hang above my desk at school and make it out of toilet paper rolls! TP you might ask?!?!? Well it may sound a little out there...but check it out first before you jump to any conclusions! 

Here was the goal of my project:

 
I started out with a bunch of toilet paper rolls and flattened them (like you see in the picture above)



I then cut each roll into 4 sections. Each section was one inch. I did this by marking on the rolls first and then cutting, so that it was fairly accurate! 


After that I got out the spray paint!! This was the most time consuming part of the project. It took awhile to spray each section, and most of the times it needed two coats. I would recommend wearing gloves...it gets a little messy!


After they were dry I got out the hot glue gun and started gluing. I glued the pieces together and then held them with clothespins...


 I made sure that I gave each piece plenty of time to to dry before removing any clothes pins....

And here is my final product, finished and hanging in my room!!!!!


My next project was creating ornaments for my roommates! :) I found a project that used inexpensive paintbrushes to create a Santa ornament!!!! I bought by paintbrushes and paint and got to work!


I painted the handle red...


added a little fluff to his hat, and painted his skin...


I added eyes and rosy cheeks :)


gave his beard a little trim....


And for the final touch I painted a wooden ball for his hat, tied it on, and added some string to hang it from the tree!!! :)

Simple and fun!

Now for a fun recipe that I tried. Perfect for a little snack! My friend Regan and I were having a girls night, and we decided to make these fun treats!!! They are called Bite Size Apple Pies

What you need:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 pkg. (14.1 oz..} refrigerated pie crust
3 tbsp. melted butter, divided
2 medium apples, each cut into 8 wedges

What to do:
Combine and sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside 1 Tbsp. Unroll the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Brush the pastry with 2 Tbsp. melted butter, and sprinkle with larger portion of sugar mixture.
 
Cut each sheet of the pie crust into 8 pieces. We cut them in the shape of a piece of pie. This made it easy to cut and roll! Cut your apples (they can be peeled or not peeled...that is up to you!) Wrap each apple in a piece of your pie crust, placing sugared side of pastry against apple.

Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. of sugar mixture that you set aside. Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. 



Serve it warm...and with ice cream if you want!!! :)

I have really enjoyed experimenting with ideas I have found on pinterest....if you have any other great craft ideas or recipes I would love to hear about them and try them out!!!

Next up: my last day in the classroom with the third graders and updates on student teaching next semester :)

xoxo,
Shelbi


No comments:

Post a Comment